Burg / Schloss
In Picardy, less than two hours from Paris, near to Soissons, a residential chateau in 20 hectares of parklands.
This is a region which has paid dearly for its various invasions, especially following the First World War. The influence of the fortified castle of Coucy, an impregnable fortress built as of the 13th century with the tallest keep ever constructed in the West, but no longer in existence, can still be felt throughout the region. And yet, the countryside is extremely beautiful with its dense forests, its copses and its fertile farmland planted with wheat, peas and vegetables.
It is in this region of Picardy, just 2 hours from Paris, at the bottom of a valley, where the borders of the French departments of Oise and Aisne meet, that this elegant chateau is concealed, out of sight of the village.
A first Renaissance style chateau was constructed in 1520. This was modified and preserved up until the French Revolution. In 1815, allied troops opposing Napoleon 1st not only occupied, but also damaged it. Hence, when it was sold in 1860, the new owner decided to demolish it and build another residence on the same site. This Napoleon III style chateau did not have the distinction and elegance of the old one. But it was not there for very long as it was destroyed by the Germans in 1917.
The owner at that time, nevertheless, decided to rebuild it. This was therefore a reconstructed chateau as all those ruined by German troops but which, like the phoenix, rose up once again in the 1920s were known. This iron will can be explained by the eras patriotic spirit and also by the imperial need to be reunited with the roots of their families that lived in these chateaux. Many are still lived in by the same families today.
Works did not begin until the middle of the 1930s, some fifteen years after the war. But in 1940, the almost finished chateau was once again occupied by the Germans who reduced it to ruins. More construction works had therefore to be carried out and completed after the war.
This worksite was fuelled by a bright idea: a new site for the building. At the end of the parklands with an unobstructed view over the surrounding countryside, the chateau no longer stands in the shadow of the village church but looks out over open space.
This property is laid out around its chateau with landscaped gardens composed of vast lawns, surrounded by trees over a hundred years old. Once through the large gates, a long drive comes to an end in front of the building.
The architectural choice was very different for this 19th century chateau as it was decided to construct a chateau using brick and stone and to revert to the classical architectural style of the Louis XVI era with the leitmotif of making light omnipresent!
The chateauOn the courtyard side
The classical appearance is immediately obvious, with a central building, flanked by two wings set at right angles. The chateaus hip roof, with valleys, is covered with slate.
Two bulls eye windows are set in the roof of the wings whilst an acroterion, topped with a curved stone pediment, takes pride of place.
Three stone bays succeed one another on the central building with an entrance door in line with the top of the porch.
On the terrace and garden side.
A rectilinear facade with six bays features a central stone section and brick sides. The large windows on the ground floor have semi-circular arches; those on the first floor are rectangular.
Balconies and a balustrade enhance this facade which looks out over the countryside, with a view of medieval ruins in the distance.
The chateau is entered via a large vestibule, decorated with trophies from local hunts. The exterior, semi-circular arched windows face double, wooden doors painted olive green. Black and ivory marble floor tiles are laid in a diamond pattern. ...
Anzahl der Schlafzimmer: 6, Anzahl der Badezimmer: 5, Bundesland: Picardie