Burg / Schloss
In the French department of Saône-et-Loire, just a few minutes from Cluny, a listed chateau, epicentre of French literature.
This property is located just a few kilometres from the medieval town of Cluny, 4 hours from Paris via the A6 motorway and just 2 hours away via TGV train from Mâcon station. It is 2½ hours from Geneva and less than an hour from Lyon by train. This castle, standing between courtyard and garden, is in a wonderful setting on a wooded hillside, on the edge of a little village with less than 350 inhabitants. The commune is in the heart of an area with a wealth of heritage, marked by the influence of Cluny Abbey.
This castle, constructed over the centuries, stands at the top of a verdant valley. It borders an old village, the Romanesque church bell-tower of which is on the boundary of the parklands. Spanning almost 4.5 ha, the property is enclosed by old walls and natural hedges. A gateway opens on to a drive, bordered by miscellaneous species of superb, old trees, leading to the castle. Visitors go along one side of the outbuilding walls: vast carriage gates provide a glimpse of the estates farmyard. On the other side, the eye is drawn to the copses, with a wooded hill in the distance. The orangery and the castle are set at right angles, forming a courtyard. The residence itself takes the form of a rectangular polygon, three sides of which are marked by a tower. One of the two long facades overlooks this open courtyard, whilst the other the slopes to the east of the garden.
The castle has a 300° view over the surroundings. Gardens follow the natural lie of the land and provide an unspoilt view from the castle terrace over the area and the thousand-year-old parish church. Furthermore, a concealed door set one of the propertys perimeter walls provides direct access to Lamartines grave.
The listed castleThe structures of the central building date from the Ancien Régime (Old Order): superb 17th and 18th century features still remain. The castle and the similarly named county belonged to such famous families as Rochefort-dAilly or Castellane. The propertys modern form is the result of successive actions carried out by members of the Lamartine family. In 1802, Viscount-de-Castellane gave the estate to Pierre-de-Lamartine, father of the romantic poet. In 1828, the famous Alphonse-de-Lamartine commissioned extension works in a troubadour style. The castle was a forerunner in this as the era of Viollet-le-Duc had not yet begun. The neo-gothic style was then strengthened with the addition of the stairway tower and the porch.
The castle has full French Historic Monument classification for its facades and roofs as well as for some of the rooms (lounge and dining room, a bedroom and the poets study). The outbuildings are also listed.
The facades are composed of ochre-coloured quarry stone blocks, very often protected by a similar coloured rendering. Wide stretches of the courtyard walls, on the west side of the residence, are covered with old wisteria. Despite its somewhat feudal appearance, the castle is brightly illuminated via wide windows. Impressive mullioned windows alternate with ogee, arched and straight windows. Any yet, this diversity in no way spoils the air of unity exuded by the property. The local tile roofs blend beautifully with the colours of the walls.
A terrace supported on a basket-handle arched gallery, with four-lobed balusters, runs the length of the south and east facades. The first floor is, therefore, enhanced with an exceptional feature, providing a view of the entire valley.
The west side of this level comprises two dining rooms and kitchens composed of four rooms. On the east side, a hall area, to the right of the main stairway, leads via a small stairway to a set of five rooms, two-thirds underground.
Anzahl der Schlafzimmer: 12, Bundesland: Bourgogne